Skip to content

Fall ESB

September 13, 2013

Time to brew now that I’m back with the brewing equipment.  Going to go to the old standby, but intentionally tilting to the malt-balance side of the Chloride:Sulfate ratio (i.e., emphasizing chlorides).

Pre-Brew

  • Substituted 4 oz. Kent Goldings with 1 oz. Millenium (@15.9%) & 0.5 oz. Goldings (@~6.5%)

Recipe

Pre-treating water with slaked lime and CaCl2, not balancing with Gypsum in the mash.

BeerSmith Recipe / Brewsheet

Brew Day

  • No Whirlfloc
  • Hurry => ran off to fermenters at full open after letting rest for only ~15 minutes after finishing cooldown
  • 1 minute oxygenation in both
  • 62 F keezer overnight, then steady 68 F
  • Slaked lime with CaCl2 overnight in full 1/2 bbl keg
  • No additional CaCl2 in the mash (no additions whatsoever in the mash)
  • Slow lauter – 1.5 hours – (need a long tube, not just intact)

Fermentation & Kegging

Kegged the first 5 gallons after ~1 week fermenting.  It was really cloudy due to not having whirlfloc and not giving it time for the trub to really compress into a tight cake, but I wanted some beer!

After researching post-boil fining, I settled on adding some gelatin to the keg.  I would have rather done it to the fermenter to leave the gunk behind there, but I thought I’d give it a test with what was kegged before adding it to the remaining fermenter.  After a few days, things really cleared up until the beer was coming out pretty bright.  I decided that was good enough evidence to add gelatin to the remaining fermenter.

After reading that the effectiveness of gelatin is improved by adding it to very cold beer, I crashed my remaining fermenter after 2+ weeks (probably >2 weeks, <2.5) for a couple days to get everything to settle, then added the gelatin (according to the process here gleaned from several other blogs).  After letting this sit for another 3 days or so, I racked to the keg.  Unfortunately the trub was really loose.  I think this is just from the stuff that was precipitating from gelatin, but figured I was still better off than I was with the other fermenter so I went ahead.

As of writing, the beer from the second keg is still a little cloudy, but it continues to clear up.  I’m probably about half way through the keg now, so I think all in all, whirlfloc is a better match to my process than gelatin.

Impressions

Right on!  It turns out that the Cl:SO4 ratio is the key to the characteristic I really like in my ESBs (i.e., malty with a “softness”).  I’m thinking I’ll try this out as my characteristic brewing feature for a range of beers and see how it turns out.

Advertisements

From → Ale, All-Grain, Brews

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: